The Church calls Christian parents to be the “first” teachers of the faith and the “best” teachers of the faith (The Rite of Infant Baptism). Godparents agree to assist in this ministry of parents. This resource from “Catholic Lane” is to assist you, parent or godparent, with using the Sunday Mass readings to teach about the Catholic Faith and live the Catholic Faith as a family.
“CCC” refers to the Catechism of the Catholic Church
Lectionary Readings for October 21, 2018: Twenty-Eighth Sunday in Ordinary Time:
Isaiah 53:10-11, Hebrews 4:14-16, Mark 10:35-45  (Ordinary Form)
SUMMARY OF READINGS: All three readings for this Sunday have an explicit focus on Jesus offering His sacrifice upon the Cross for our salvation.
CATECHETICAL TALKING POINTS: These readings provide an opportunity for us to reflect upon sin, forgiveness, and love. There are various topics that can be chosen to be relearned by adults and discussed with the youth under their care.
- Christ’s entire life was an offering to the Father (CCC 606-607).
- Jesus is the Lamb of God for the sins of the world (CCC 608).
- The definitive sacrifice of the Cross (CCC 613-614).
- His obedience was substituted for our disobedience (CCC 615).
- The sacrifice of Jesus and our Participation (CCC 616-618).
TRUTH IN ACTION: Parents or godparents can also put the catechetical content into action through various activities. Here are just a few examples:
- Pray as individuals or as a family while gazing upon a crucifix.
- Purchase a crucifix as a gift for another family or neighbor.
- Make an Examination of Conscience.
- Make plans to go to Confession and focus on the forgiving work of Jesus.
Bookmark Catholiclane.com for future Sunday Mass Readings for the Ministry of Parents and Godparents