Sunday Mass Readings for the Ministry of Parents and Godparents
The Church professes Christian parents to be the “first” teachers of the faith and calls them to be the “best” teachers of the faith (The Rite of Infant Baptism). Godparents agree to assist in this ministry of parents. This resource from Catholic Lane is to assist you, parent or godparent, with using the Sunday Mass readings to teach the Catholic Faith and live the Catholic Faith as a family.
December 16th, 2018: The Third Sunday of Advent: Zephaniah 3:14-18, Philippians 4:4-7, Luke 3:10-18 
SUMMARY OF READINGS
Advent is nearing its end and Christmas will soon be upon us. The first reading is a proclamation of the joy that comes from God.
The second reading continues the theme of joy and rejoicing, while calling us to let go of anxiety and find peace in God.
The Gospel this week gives us the words of Saint John the Baptist, a call to conversion from sin and an expectation of the coming of Jesus.
CATECHETICAL TALKING POINTS
The readings for this Sunday provide an opportunity to reflect upon the call to conversion, expectation, and joy. “CCC” refers to the Catechism of the Catholic Church:
- The work of Saint John the Baptist (CCC 523 ).
- Jesus comes to us in the Holy Eucharist (CCC 1406-1419 ).
- The list of the Fruits of the Holy Spirit, like Joy (CCC 1832 ).
- Jesus’ call to conversion (CCC 1427-1429 )
- Tools for Repentance and Change during Advent (CCC 1434-1439 )
- The purpose of Advent (CCC 524 ).
- Joy and Peace through the Sunday Rest (CCC 2184-2188 ).
TRUTH IN ACTION
Parents or godparents can also put the catechetical content into action through various activities. Here are just a few examples:
- Review the promises you made at your Baptism. Review them with your child or godchild.
- Spend some extra time preparing to receive Jesus in Holy Communion this week.
- Take your child or godchild to Eucharistic Adoration, of any length, to reflect upon the coming of Jesus.
- Pray for those that do not know Jesus Christ.
Bookmark Catholiclane.com for future Sunday Mass Readings for the Ministry of Parents and Godparents