Sunday Mass Readings for the Ministry of Parents and Godparents
The Church professes Christian parents to be the “first” teachers of the faith and calls them to be the “best” teachers of the faith (The Rite of Infant Baptism). Godparents agree to assist in this ministry of parents. This resource from Catholic Lane is to assist you, parent or godparent, with using the Sunday Mass readings to teach the Catholic Faith and live the Catholic Faith as a family.
June 8th, 2019: The Solemnity of Pentecost: Acts 2:1-11, Psalm 104, 1 Corinthians 12:3-7, 12-13, John 20:19-23 (Other readings may be an option in your region)
SUMMARY OF READINGS
The first reading is the account of Pentecost from the Acts of the Apostles. The Holy Spirit descends upon the Church in a dramatic fashion: as a strong wind, as tongues of fire over each person, through the power to speak other languages to proclaim the Gospel, and giving the Church the courage to go out and spread the faith. The Psalm is a cry for the Spirit to descend today and renew the world. The second reading speaks of the Holy Spirit through Baptism giving us the ability for us to believe in Jesus and to use our gifts from God. The Gospel recounts not the giving of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost but the first giving of the Holy Spirit at Easter, when Jesus gave the Spirit for the forgiveness of sins in Confession.
CATECHETICAL TALKING POINTS
These readings provide an opportunity for exploring the Holy Spirit, and the Sacrament of Confirmation. “CCC” refers to the Catechism of the Catholic Church:
- The Holy Spirit is truly God (CCC 243-260).
- The Holy Spirit is active in the life of the Church (CCC 687-690).
- Confirmation perpetuates the graces of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost (CCC 1286-1289).
- Confirmation gives the Christian the mission to share the Catholic Faith with others (CCC 1302-1305).
- The Church was born from the pierced side of Jesus on the Cross and was manifested to the world at Pentecost (CCC 766-767).
TRUTH IN ACTION
Parents or godparents can also put the catechetical content into action through various activities. Here are just a few examples:
- Pray for your child or godchild’s upcoming Confirmation in the years to come.
- Pray for the renewal of the Confirmation already received by your child or godchild.
- Each church is to have the Chrism Oil displayed through an ambry. Find your display and show it to your child/godchild.
- Go over the effects and expectations of Confirmation from the Catechism.
- Do an examination of conscience to determine how you might better live out Confirmation by growing closer to
- God and better share the Catholic Faith with others.
Bookmark Catholiclane.com for future Sunday Mass Readings for the Ministry of Parents and Godparents.