Sunday Mass Readings for the Ministry of Parents and Godparents
The Church calls Christian parents to be the “first” teachers of the faith and the “best” teachers of the faith (The Rite of Infant Baptism). Godparents agree to assist in this ministry of parents. This resource from Catholic Lane is to assist you, parent or godparent, with using the Sunday Mass readings to teach the Catholic Faith and live the Catholic Faith as a family.
November 25th, 2018: The Solemnity of Our Lord Jesus Christ, King of the Universe: Daniel 7:13-14, Psalm 93, Revelation 1:5-8, John 18:33-37 
SUMMARY OF READINGS
The theme of the readings focuses upon Christ’s Kingship. Daniel 7 provides us an image of one called “the Son of Man” that is presented to us as a heavenly figure and is one day given a perpetual reign as King of the universe. The language in Daniel 7 mirrors the language in 2 Samuel 7 of a covenantal promise to David of a perpetual throne.
Revelation 1 has the same imagery as Daniel 7 and is telling us that the perpetual reign of a glorious King is Jesus Christ; He has established a priestly kingdom through His Church.
John 18 shows Pilate questioning the possible kingship of Jesus; it demonstrates the false understanding of His kingship as something that would come by force during His earthly ministry 2,000 years ago. In all the readings there is a theme of Christ’s kingship but also a sense that His Kingship begins in the hearts of those that “belong to the truth” and will be fully realized, throughout the cosmos, in the future. There is a sense of anticipation.
CATECHETICAL TALKING POINTS
The readings for this Sunday provide an opportunity to understand how Jesus is not just a King but the King, how He reigns now, and how He will reign in the future. “CCC” refers to the Catechism of the Catholic Church:
- Jesus is King (CCC 436-441 ).
- Christ reigns now in the Church (CCC 668-670 ).
- We await Christ’s return and Supreme Reign (CCC 671-674 ).
- Christ’s Kingdom begins to reign through the Eucharist and will come in its fullness at the end of time (CCC 2816-2821 ).
- We share in Christ’s Kingship through our Baptism and this impacts the way we love others (CCC 783-786 ).
TRUTH IN ACTION
Parents or godparents can also put the catechetical content into action through various activities. Here are just a few examples:
- Pray for your child or godchild to become more rooted in the Kingdom of God.
- Pray the Our Father and stress Thy Kingdom Come.
- Be more attentive when you receive the Eucharist. Maybe go to Mass on a weekday or Saturday morning and consider the reign of
- Christ in you through the Eucharist.
- Pray for those that do not know Jesus.
- Share the Good News of Christ and His Kingdom with someone by inviting them to Mass, gifting them cookies with a prayer card, witnessing to the power of God active in your life, etc.
- Renew your Baptismal Promises. Help your child or godchild to renew their Baptismal Promises.
- Take your child or godchild to experience a moment of helping someone in need. Talk about how Christ is a King that serves, and we must do the same.
Bookmark Catholiclane.com for future Sunday Mass Readings for the Ministry of Parents and Godparents