Sunday Mass Readings for the Ministry of Parents and Godparents
The Church calls Christian parents to be the “first” teachers of the faith and the “best” teachers of the faith (The Rite of Infant Baptism). Godparents agree to assist in this ministry of parents. This resource from Catholic Lane is to assist you, parent or godparent, with using the Sunday Mass readings to teach the Catholic Faith and live the Catholic Faith as a family.
November 18, 2018: Thirty-third Sunday in Ordinary Time: Daniel 12:1-3, Hebrews 10:11-14, 8, Mark 13:24-32 
SUMMARY OF READINGS
The theme of the readings for the 33rd Sunday in Ordinary Time, as we near the end of the Liturgical Year, is a reminder of the problems within creation that will point to the coming of Christ as King and Judge. Within this message is a calling to have Hope. Hope in the coming of Christ to usher in the new heaven and the new earth, and Hope in the Resurrection of the Body.
CATECHETICAL TALKING POINTS
The readings for this Sunday provide an opportunity to talk about the end times. Below are some places in the Catechism of the Catholic Church to help with these catechetical conversations as a parent or godparent. “CCC” refers to the Catechism of the Catholic Church:
- Christ currently reigns as King through His Church (CCC 668-670 ).
- The Church’s Ultimate Trial before Christ’s 2nd Coming (CCC 675-677 ).
- How will the Resurrection of the Body occur? (CCC 997-1001 )
- The New Heaven and the New Earth (CCC 1042-1050 ).
- The Virtue of Hope (CCC 1817-1821 ).
TRUTH IN ACTION
Parents or godparents can also put the catechetical content into action through various activities. Here are just a few examples:
- Pray the Our Father and stress Thy Kingdom Come.
- Schedule a time to go to Confession and “clean house.”
- Renew your Baptismal promises and ask specifically for a renewal of the virtue of Hope that was infused in Baptism.
- Pray the Rosary, or another prayer/devotion, for the faith of the Church and her leaders.
Bookmark Catholiclane.com for future Sunday Mass Readings for the Ministry of Parents and Godparents