Sunday Mass Readings for the Ministry of Parents and Godparents
The Church professes Christian parents to be the “first” teachers of the faith and calls them to be the “best” teachers of the faith (The Rite of Infant Baptism). Godparents agree to assist in this ministry of parents. This resource from Catholic Lane is to assist you, parent or godparent, with using the Sunday Mass readings to teach the Catholic Faith and live the Catholic Faith as a family.
June 23rd, 2019: The Solemnity of the Most Holy Body and Blood of Christ (Corpus Christi): Genesis 14:18-20, Psalm 110, 1 Corinthians 11:23-26, Luke 9:11-17 
SUMMARY OF READINGS
The first reading and the Psalm speak of a priest king named Melchizedek who offered a sacrifice of bread and wine; this is a prefigurement of Jesus and the Eucharist, as the Eucharist is a sacrament of His sacrificial offering of His Body and Blood.
The second reading, from Paul’s first letter to the Church in Corinth, provides the words of consecration from the Last Supper that the early Church was passing on. The Gospel account of the Feeding of the Multitudes prefigures the spiritual satisfaction that will come from the Eucharist.
CATECHETICAL TALKING POINTS
Corpus Christi is THE ideal opportunity to discuss the Eucharist with your child or godchild. The Eucharist is the source and summit of the Christian Life and is something children should learn about through their parents and godparents as witnesses to this truth.
- The Eucharist is a Sacrament that makes the Sacrifice of Jesus present (CCC 1356-1372 ).
- The Eucharist is truly the Body and Blood of Jesus (CCC 1373-1381 ).
- The Eucharist brings about Communion and provides a foretaste of Heaven (CCC 1384-1405 ).
- There are several key events in Salvation History, as recorded in Scripture, that help us to reflect on the Most Holy Eucharist (CCC 1333-1344 ).
- The parts of the Mass and their meaning (CCC 1345-1355 ).
TRUTH IN ACTION
Parents or godparents can also put the catechetical content into action through various activities. Here are just a few examples:
- Contact your parish and request a Mass to be offered for your child or godchild. In many ways, this is the greatest gift they may receive this year.
- Commit to a Holy Hours of Eucharistic Adoration to pray for your mission as a Christian parent or godparent, and to pray for your child or godchild’s relationship with God and His Church.
- Take your child or godchild to Eucharistic Adoration and then discuss the Eucharist over a meal or tasty dessert.
- Review with your child or godchild the reason we genuflect in the church.
- Share stories about your First Communion or powerful experiences of God at Mass.
- Pray at the Litany to the Most Holy Eucharist (CLICK HERE !).
Bookmark Catholiclane.com for future Sunday Mass Readings for the Ministry of Parents and Godparents.