Sunday Mass Readings for the Ministry of Parents and Godparents
The Church calls Christian parents to be the “first” teachers of the faith and the “best” teachers of the faith (The Rite of Infant Baptism). Godparents agree to assist in this ministry of parents. This resource from “Catholic Lane” is to assist you, parent or godparent, with using the Sunday Mass readings to teach the Catholic Faith and live the Catholic Faith as a family.
December 9th, 2018: The Second Sunday of Advent: Baruch 5:1-9, Psalm 126, Philippians 1:4-6, 8-11, Luke 3:1-6 
SUMMARY OF READINGS
Advent is underway. The first reading and the Psalm point to themes of exile, return/deliverance, and the power of the Mighty God. These themes mirror the Church’s call for repentance during Advent to welcome the Mighty God to enter into our situation and restore our lives.
The second reading, the letter from Saint Paul, inspires us to remember the work God is doing within us and through us; by God’s grace this work of holiness will continue to grow.
The Gospel is the introductory scene of Saint John the Baptist, his calling to repentance for the preparation of the coming Savior.
CATECHETICAL TALKING POINTS
The readings for this Sunday provide an opportunity to reflect upon the call to repent, believe, and prepare for the graces of Christ this Christmas. “CCC” refers to the Catechism of the Catholic Church:
- The work of Saint John the Baptist (CCC 523 )
- What is Interior Repentance? (CCC 1430-1433 )
- Tools for Repentance and Change during Advent (CCC 1434-1439 )
- The purpose of Advent (CCC 524 ).
TRUTH IN ACTION
Parents or godparents can also put the catechetical content into action through various activities. Here are just a few examples:
- Pray for your child or godchild to have a Christmas experience that shows them the love of Christ.
- Write a prayer for Christmas. This is a prayer for the grace/blessing they are seeking at Christmas. Pray them frequently through
- Advent until memorized. Then offer these prayers with the Eucharist at Christmas Mass.
- Discuss the importance of fasting before Mass.
- Collect some of the food in your home, and old coats, to give to the local shelter.
- Draw or paint an image of Saint John the Baptist.
- Be sure you and your child/godchild find time to go to Confession before Christmas.
Bookmark Catholiclane.com for future Sunday Mass Readings for the Ministry of Parents and Godparents