Sunday Mass Readings for the Ministry of Parents and Godparents
The Church professes Christian parents to be the “first” teachers of the faith and calls them to be the “best” teachers of the faith (The Rite of Infant Baptism). Godparents agree to assist in this ministry of parents. This resource from Catholic Lane is to assist you, parent or godparent, with using the Sunday Mass readings to teach the Catholic Faith and live the Catholic Faith as a family.
May 26, 2019: Sixth Sunday of Easter: Acts 15:1-2, 22-29, Psalm 67, Revelation 21:10-14, 22-23, John 14:23-29 
SUMMARY OF READINGS
In the Acts of the Apostles reading we witness the Holy Spirit working through the Church at the Council of Jerusalem. The Holy Spirit guides the Church in deciding the process of initiating Gentile converts to the Catholic Faith.
The Psalm sings of the universality (Catholicity) of the People of God, that all nations shall praise God. Revelation depicts the centrality of God in the Heavenly Jerusalem.
The Gospel of John Proclaims the promise of Christ to send the Holy Spirit; the Holy Spirit will guide the Church and its members.
CATECHETICAL TALKING POINTS
These readings provide an opportunity for exploring the mission of the Church to all nations, and the role of the Holy Spirit in the Church. “CCC” refers to the Catechism of the Catholic Church:
- The Church has a mission to all nations and the Church is comprised of members from all nations (CCC 830-831).
- This universality of the Church is described by the word “Catholic” (CCC 832-836).
- A summary of the Holy Spirit’s work in the Church (CCC 687-688).
- The Holy Spirit and the Mission of the Church (CCC 737-741).
- The Holy Spirit in the liturgical life of the Church (CCC 1091-1109).
TRUTH IN ACTION
Parents or godparents can also put the catechetical content into action through various activities. Here are just a few examples:
- Pray a Novena to the Holy Spirit for the intentions of your child or godchild (CLICK HERE  for a novena).
- Ask your child or godchild to notice all the times the Holy Spirit is mentioned in the Mass. Discuss how we witness the Holy Spirit working throughout the Mass. In particular, notice how the priest calls down the Holy Spirit to change the bread and wine into the Body and Blood of Christ.
- Pray for the missionary work of the Church.
Bookmark Catholiclane.com for future Sunday Mass Readings for the Ministry of Parents and Godparents.