Sunday Mass Readings for the Ministry of Parents and Godparents
The Church calls Christian parents to be the “first” teachers of the faith and the “best” teachers of the faith (The Rite of Infant Baptism). Godparents agree to assist in this ministry of parents. This resource from “Catholic Lane” is to assist you, parent or godparent, with using the Sunday Mass readings to teach the Catholic Faith and live the Catholic Faith as a family.
December 1st, 2018: The First Sunday of Advent: Jeremiah 33:14-16, Psalm 25, 1 Thessalonians 3:12-4:2, Luke 21:25-28, 34-36
SUMMARY OF READINGS:
Advent has begun. It is a new liturgical year. The theme of the readings focuses upon the themes of promise, coming, and fulfillment. The first reading is the promise of God through the Prophet Jeremiah that will one day be fulfilled in the coming of Jesus. The Gospel is Christ’s promise of His return.
In both promises, in both modes of Christ’s coming, at His Nativity and Second Coming, we are given an opportunity in Advent to prepare our hearts through the spirit of waiting and anticipation. This anticipation guides our heart toward conversion and the theological virtue of Hope.
CATECHETICAL TALKING POINTS
The readings for this Sunday provide an opportunity to reflect upon the ministry of the prophets and themes related to Advent. “CCC” refers to the Catechism of the Catholic Church:
- The ministry of the Old Testament prophets (CCC 64 ).
- The preparation for the coming of the Messiah (CCC 522 ).
- Why the WORD became flesh and dwelt amongst us (CCC 456-460 ).
- The purpose of Advent (CCC 524 ).
TRUTH IN ACTION
Parents or godparents can also put the catechetical content into action through various activities. Here are just a few examples:
- Discuss how you will commemorate the penitential season of Advent by “doing something” more to grow closer to Christ Jesus.
- Ask the Holy Spirit to touch the heart of your child or godchild to discover or rediscover a longing for Jesus during this Advent season.
- Put a goody or small gift in their shoe for the feast of Saint Nicholas on December 6th.
- Make a plan to go to Confession with your child or godchild sometime during Advent as a way of preparing for Christmas.
Bookmark Catholiclane.com for future Sunday Mass Readings for the Ministry of Parents and Godparents