Sunday Mass Readings for the Ministry of Parents and Godparents
The Church professes Christian parents to be the “first” teachers of the faith and calls them to be the “best” teachers of the faith (The Rite of Infant Baptism). Godparents agree to assist in this ministry of parents. This resource from “Catholic Lane” is to assist you, parent or godparent, with using the Sunday Mass readings to teach the Catholic Faith and live the Catholic Faith as a family.
February 17th, 2019: Sixth Sunday in Ordinary Time: Jeremiah 17:5-8, Psalm 1, 1 Corinthians 15:12, 16-20, Luke 6:17, 20-26 
SUMMARY OF READINGS:
In the first reading, from the Prophet Jeremiah, we are reminded that trusting in people/things can create challenges for us; trusting in the LORD brings about a fruitful life. The Psalm calls us to trust in God, hope in Him, and meditate on His word.
Paul’s letter to the Church in Corinth is a reminder of the basic trust and hope in the resurrection of Christ. Trusting in Jesus, we find in the Gospel a call to a new way of living.
CATECHETICAL TALKING POINTS:
These readings provide an opportunity for reflecting on the theme of Trust. “CCC” refers to the Catechism of the Catholic Church:
- The Theological Virtue of Faith (CCC 1814-1816 ).
- The Theological Virtue of Hope (CCC 1817-1821 ).
- The nature of Meditation (CCC 2705-2708 ).
TRUTH IN ACTION:
Parents or godparents can also put the catechetical content into action through various activities. Here are just a few examples:
- SACRAMENTS: Invite your child or godchild to renew their Baptismal Promises with you (CLICK HERE ). It is in Baptism that we were infused with Faith, Hope, and Love.
- PRAYER: Pray that your child or godchild will trust God now and in the future.
- SCRIPTURE: Read the Gospel from Mass (see link above) several times, meditate on its meaning, and application to your life’s situation.
- MISSION: Look for someone that seems to be in despair and choose a simple way to remind them to put their trust in God.
- MISSION: Examine to what degree you currently model a life of trust in God for your child or godchild. Make a plan of three actions to improve the example you provide for your child or godchild.
Bookmark Catholiclane.com for future Sunday Mass Readings for the Ministry of Parents and Godparents