Sunday Mass Readings for the Ministry of Parents and Godparents: December 30th, 2018.
The Church professes Christian parents to be the “first” teachers of the faith and calls them to be the “best” teachers of the faith (The Rite of Infant Baptism). Godparents agree to assist in this ministry of parents. This resource from Catholic Lane is to assist you, parent or godparent, with using the Sunday Mass readings to teach the Catholic Faith and live the Catholic Faith as a family.
December 30th, 2018: Feast of the Holy Family of Jesus, Mary and Joseph: Sirach 3:2-6, 12-14, Psalm 128, Colossians 3:12-21, Luke 2:41-52 
SUMMARY OF READINGS
The Christmas season continues, and now our attention has turned to the fact that the Son of God was born into a family. The first reading is from Sirach 3 and exhorts children to honor their parents, to realize that their relationship with their parents impacts their prayer, and to be prepared to care for their parents when health or age requires it.
The second reading from Colossians places the call for honor that produces peace within the home, within the context of Christian Life.
The Gospel showcases a moment of the dynamics of the Holy Family: the one in which the child Jesus is found within the Temple; Jesus too shows the importance of obedience to the family.
CATECHETICAL TALKING POINTS
The readings for the Feast of the Holy Family provide an opportunity to reflect upon the nature of the Christian Family that assists children and godchildren in understanding how to seek holiness within the life of their home. “CCC” refers to the Catechism of the Catholic Church:
- What is the Christian Family? (CCC 2201-2206 ).
- The duties of children (CCC 2214-2220 ).
- The duties of parents (CCC 2221-2231 ).
- The 4 essential habits of the Christian Family: Sacraments, Daily Prayer, Scripture, and Missionary Work (CCC 2205 ).
TRUTH IN ACTION
Parents or godparents can also put the catechetical content into action through various activities. Here are just a few examples:
- Go to Mass as a large family group: Parents, children, godparents, relatives, etc.
- Request your Priest to bless your home.
- Renew your marital commitment.
- Look through old family photos or videos.
- Pray for your child or godchild and ask them to pray with/for you.
- Have a Mass said for the intentions of your family.
- Discuss the 4 habits for the Christian Home (see above) and how to better integrate them into your family life.
- Read Luke 2:41-51 with your child or godchild.
- Give holy cards of the Holy Family to your neighbors.
Bookmark Catholiclane.com for future Sunday Mass Readings for the Ministry of Parents and Godparents