Mass Readings for the Ministry of Parents and Godparents: December 25th, 2018
The Church professes Christian parents to be the “first” teachers of the faith and calls them to be the “best” teachers of the faith (The Rite of Infant Baptism). Godparents agree to assist in this ministry of parents. This resource from “Catholic Lane” is to assist you, parent or godparent, with using the Sunday Mass readings to teach the Catholic Faith and live the Catholic Faith as a family.
December 16th, 2018: The Solemnity of the Nativity of the Lord: Click here for the readings for the Vigil Mass, Mass during the Night, Mass in the Morning, Mass during the Day
SUMMARY OF READINGS
Advent was short this year. It is now Christmas! The Christmas season has begun for Christians. There is great diversity in the readings possible at Christmas. They all focus on two things: (1) The events surrounding the birth of Jesus, (2) The identity of this Jesus as the promised one from the Old Testament, the Son of God who is truly man and truly God.
CATECHETICAL TALKING POINTS
The readings for Christmas provide an opportunity to reflect upon the events of the birth of Christ and His identity as the Incarnate Word. “CCC” refers to the Catechism of the Catholic Church:
- The meaning of the birth of Christ (CCC 525-526).
- Why did God become flesh? (CCC 456-460)
- What is the Incarnation? (CCC 461-463, 470)
- For older youth: The different heresies against the Incarnation and deeper understandings of the Incarnation (CCC 464-469).
- For older youth: In what way did the Divine Son take on a human nature? (CCC 471-478)
TRUTH IN ACTION
Parents or godparents can also put the catechetical content into action through various activities. Here are just a few examples:
- Go to Mass everyday, or as often as possible, for the Octave of Christmas. Each of the first 8 days of Christmas is celebrated as Christmas Day.
- Pray in thanksgiving for the gift of your birth and the birth of your child/godchild.
- Just as people visited the Christ-child after His birth, consider a visit to adore our Eucharistic Lord in the Blessed Sacrament.
- Pray and discuss the joyful mysteries of the Rosary.
- Discuss the different responses people might have to the question: “Who is Jesus?” Then discuss the truth of Jesus’ identity.
- Put the baby Jesus out in your home Nativity Scene.
Bookmark Catholiclane.com for future Sunday Mass Readings for the Ministry of Parents and Godparents